Bargoed RFC | 1st Team 11 - 15 Newport RFC | 1st Team
Lewys Lippiett
Try 1
Llywarch Ap Myrddin
1 Try
Arwel Robson
1 Conversion
1 Penalty

Match Report
23 April 2017 / Team News

Bargoed 11 Newport 15

Newport had to dig deep to beat the Bulls playing a home game at Ystrad Mynach and it took a touch of brilliance from fullback Llywarch ap Myrddin five minutes from time to claim the win and secure a play-off spot at the top of tier two.

The game followed a familiar theme with Bargoed enjoying plenty of territory and possession but just failing to put points on the board. The visitors on the other hand took an early lead with an Arwel Robson penalty. The chances were there for Bargoed and the Black and Ambers were lucky not to concede a penalty try with outside half Robson yellow carded for a deliberate knock on just metres from his own try line with twenty two minutes on the clock. However the Bulls couldn't make the extra man count and Newport survived until they went down to fourteen again just before half time - this time, flanker Rhodri Jones was carded for his part in a fairly widespread fracas just before half time, but they held out to lead 0-3 at the break.
Bargoed played with patience and control from the start of he second half, working the ball upfield and resisting the temptation to kick away possession and it worked putting Newport under pressure and they buckled conceding two penalties in the first ten minutes to put the Bulls in front at 6-3 from the boot of full back Matthew Lewis. 
Newport's scrum had Bargoed in a spot of bother throughout the first half and when scrum half Matt Bancroft was adjudged to have carried over despite protestations from the Bargoed players who thought otherwise, Newport sniffed their chance with a scrum five metres out and after a reset and a penalty referee Gareth John went under the posts for a penalty try converted by Robson to make it 6-10 after 54 minutes.
Bargoed rang the changes and a fresh front row paid dividends with hooker Lewis Lippiett finishing off a fine move to edge in front at 11-10 with an unconverted try with just 17 minutes left.
With just five minutes to go Bargoed were pinned back in their own twenty two and Newport had the feed to a scrum and a quick consultation suggested they had something planned and it paid off with ap Myrddin finishing off a well worked try which went unconverted. Bargoed fought until the end but had to be content with a losing bonus point with the final score 11-15.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos