Bargoed RFC | 1st Team 26 - 35 Cardiff RFC | 1st Team
Leigh Andrew Meades
Try 1
Luke Dyckhoff
Try 2
James Hallett
Conversion 3
James Beal
1 Try
Luke Anthony Crocker
1 Try
Lloyd Chalke
1 Try
Ben Thomas
1 Try
1 Conversion
William Rees Hole
1 Try
Gareth J Thompson
4 Conversion

Match Report
07 May 2017 / Team News

Bargoed Cardiff Match Report

Bargoed’s historic first year in the Principality Premiership ended with an entertaining if frustrating defeat at home to Cardiff. Just a few seasons ago any sort of win against Premiership opposition was regarded as a significant achievement but this campaign has seen the Bulls register Premiership wins home and away against Swansea and victories over Bridgend, Newport and Neath. Add to that, Challenge Cup successes against Pontypridd, home and away and also against high flying Merthyr and Ebbw Vale and it all points to a pretty competitive entry into the top flight of domestic Welsh rugby.

Chairman Neil Carter sums up the mood in the club “The coaches wanted to keep faith with the players who got us from the Championship and with a few additions that’s what we’ve done so we think that our record this year has been impressive given the quality of the opposition. Arguably we should have won half a dozen more and we were in positions to do that but our inexperience at this level showed that managing the final minutes of a game is what good teams do, but we’ve learned from that and intend to put that right for next season.”

He continued “We have enjoyed the experience and we’ve been pleasantly surprised by the warm welcome and support we’ve received from established Premiership clubs who have embraced us as newcomers and I think we’ve made friends and admirers for the way we’ve conducted ourselves on and off the field. I should also praise the WRU for the support and advice they've given us throughout the season.”

As for the game against the Blue and Blacks, Bargoed went behind to an early try, outside half Gareth Thompson putting James Beal over converted by Thompson before hitting back with a stunning interception by young outside half Matthew Lewis taking the ball 10 metres from his own line and outsprinting the chasing Cardiff cover. James Hallet's conversion looked to have gone over to everyone but the touch judges so it remained 5-7 after 13 minutes.

The Bargoed eight had a fine first half taking three scrums against the head but despite heir dominance couldn't add to the score until Leigh Meades was driven over from a line out with 39 minutes on the clock. Hallet added the extras and it looked as if the Bulls might take a half time lead. However Cardiff had other ideas, got a field position and Bargoed back row Louis Blacker fell foul of referee Ben Whitehouse and was shown a yellow card for illegally stopping a driving maul. Cardiff drove over from the line out with Luke Crocker coming up with the ball. Thompson converted and it was 12-14 at the break.

Bargoed shipped another two tries in quick succession while still a man down - centres Will Hole-Rees and Lloyd Chalk with tries on 45 and 50 minutes respectively both converted by Thompson to make it 12-28 after 50 minutes.

The Bulls then rang the changes and number eight Ross Coombes got a standing ovation leaving the field after playing his last game for the club, the supporters recognising the part he had played in getting Bargoed into the Premiership.

Cardiff's Ben Thomas then crossed for their fifth, taking away any hope that Bargoed had of getting something from the game but remarkably Bargoed hit back with two late tries from replacement number eight Luke Dyckhoff to claim a four try bonus point with the final score 26-35. 


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos