Neath RFC | 1st Team 17 - 40 Bargoed RFC | 1st Team
Christopher Morgans
Try 1
Sion O'brien
Try 1
Edward Howley
Conversion 2
Penalty 1
Ieuan Jones
1 Try
Jonathan William Armitage
1 Try
Keagan Thomas Bale
1 Try
Ashley Norton
1 Try
Julian Mogg
2 Try

Match Report
31 December 2017 / Team News

Neath 17 Bargoed 40

The Bargoed supporters who travelled to the Gnoll couldn't have hoped for a better late Christmas present as they watched their side deliver a gift-wrapped bonus point win to start the second half of the Premiership in style. The Bulls ran in six tries and never looked like letting this one slip despite a rousing second half fightback from the Neath All Blacks.

The first ten minutes or so was a pretty torrid affair with both sides showing a willingness to play but with solid defences cancelling each other out. The signs that Bargoed meant business came early on with a take against the head and a penalty awarded against the Neath eight just inside the half way. Matthew Lewis'  attempt had the distance but was just wide of the posts. From the drop out, Neath regained possession and attempted to run it out but Ieuan Jones snaffled an offload and intercepted for the opening score which Lewis converted.
As the game entered the second quarter, Julian Mogg put up a high kick and chased. The defender knocked on and from the ensuing scrum, Bargoed forced another penalty. Lewis put it over to make it 0-10 after 21 minutes.
Neath went close from a driving maul but were awarded a scrum five metres out but again the Bargoed eight drove them off their own ball and cleared. The Bulls should really have scored their second following a trade mark David Evans run taken on by Lewis Bowden and with captain Rhys Morgan also going close but with Neath offside they had to make do with another penalty to make it 0-13 on the half hour. Ed Howley got three points back for the home side just minutes later.
Bargoed ended a very good half with their second try - a strong Duane Dyer run was halted just short of the line but great support from Jon Armitage saw the flanker go over at the flag and they went into the break 3-18 up.
The Bulls started where they left off and piled on the pressure and with referee Simon Rees playing a penalty advantage, the forwards kept the ball, demonstrating a level of composure which has sometimes deserted them this season and it eventually paid off with tighthead prop Keegan Bale crashing over under the posts with Lewis adding the extras.
To their credit, the Blacks didn't fold and their bench seemed to make a difference - Chris Morgans crossed on 53 minutes and Ed Howley converted to make it 10-25 and minutes later Bargoed dealt well with a driving maul but couldn't hold Sion O'Brien coming through on a great angle and the centre crossed under the posts - 17-25 with Howley's conversion - game on with 17 minutes left.
However, Ashley Norton, on for Duane Dyer put in a great chase from the restart - Bargoed retained possession and after several drives, the forwards let the backs have it and Julian Mogg arced through  a gap in the defence to score the bonus point try to make it 17-30.
Neath chased the game and as often happens, the risky options created opportunities for the opposition. Ashley Norton finished off a fine move to score the fifth as the clock turned red and there was still time for Mogg to score his second at the death to end the game 17-40.
Next week Bargoed entertain Trebanos in the Cup.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos