Bargoed RFC | 1st Team 7 - 35 Merthyr RFC | 1st Team
Grant Rogers
Try 1
Joshua Prosser
Conversion 1
Justin James
1 Try
Lee James Evans
1 Try
Nathan Trevett
1 Try
Matthew Liam Dwyer
1 Try
Adam Hoskins
1 Try
Matthew Rhys Jarvis
5 Conversion

Match Report
13 May 2018 / Team News

Bargoed v Merthyr Match Report

Merthyr lifted the Premiership trophy with a bonus point win in a live televised game at Bargoed Park. The home side started brightly but failed to turn initial pressure into points. Merthyr on the other hand showed why they are champions with Gareth Davies pulling the strings at ten and taking a 0-14 lead after 11 minutes with tries coming from Justin James and Kyle Evans, both converted by full back Matthew Jarvis.

Bargoed had their chances but couldn't quite match the opposition for composure in the twenty two. The Bulls defended robustly and it took the visitors until five minutes before the break to cross the whitewash again with prop Nathan Trevett coming up from the bottom of a driving maul to make it 0-21 with another Jarvis conversion.
Another catch and drive gave Merthyr the bonus point on 54 minutes with replacement Matthew Dwyer claiming the score with Jarvis slotting his fourth conversion.
Bargoed are nothing if not resilient and with Merthyr back rower Ed Siggery in the bin for a succession of penalties in the twenty two, the Bulls' Leigh Meades playing out of position on the open side flank popped out of a ruck and made ground before passing to fellow flanker Grant Rogers to cross for a well deserved try. However, the home supporters were made to wait while referee Aled Evans consulted TMO Stuart Kibble checking for an offside at the ruck. The try was awarded and outside half Josh Prosser, on for the injured Callum Jones, converted to make it 7-28.
TMO Kibble was called into action again to rule when Adam Hoskins crossed close to the touchline at the flag and again it went with the attacking side. Jarvis put the kick over and Bargoed trailed 7-35 with 65 minutes gone.
The Bulls had further opportunities but couldn't convert the territorial advantage into points and some dogged defence kept Merthyr at bay as they closed the game out at 7-35.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos