Aberavon RFC | 1st Team 25 - 17 Bargoed RFC | 1st Team
James Hallett
1 Try
2 Conversion
1 Penalty
Lewys Lippiett
1 Try

Match Report
02 April 2017 / Team News

Aberavon 25 Bargoed 17

obwebs with an enjoyable and competitive match played in great spirit at the Talbot Athletic Ground.

Bargoed fell behind to a third minute opener from Joe Gage, the full back following up an inventive cross field grubber with James Garland adding the extras.   
The heavy showers before the kick off made for difficult handling but both sides showed intent early on with the Wizards' slick handling and pace out wide coming up against stiff resistance from a well organised Bulls' defence. Referee Mike English had had a few words with both captains during the first quarter and his patience gave out on 23 minutes when Bargoed loose-head Rhys Morgan and Aberavon flanker Joe Tomlin-Reeves went to the bin for exchanging pleasantries at a ruck on the Aberavon twenty-two, following which Bargoed had a penalty and spurned an easy three points to go to the corner.
The Wizards extended their lead with a well worked Will Price try following a tap and go from lively scrum half Jacob Flynn to make it 12-0.  Bargoed lock Louis Blacker put in an impressive burst out of defence making 35 metres but couldn't quite see Matt Bancroft coming through at pace to offload but the referee awarded a penalty anyway and full back James Hallett slotted it over from 40 metres to make 12-3 at the break.
The Bargoed coaches rang the changes with a fresh front row seven minutes into the second half and it had an immediate impact with hooker Lewis Lippiet going over with Hallett converting to make it 12-10. Aberavon showed how serious they were taking the game, choosing to take three points from a penalty by replacement Steffan Williams to make it 15-10 after 53 minutes.
The Bulls then had a purple patch with Lippiett breaking free looking for his brace but adjudged to have have not released in a completed tackle and then Duane Dyer bursting through only to be called back for an off-the-ball infringement from a Bargoed support runner.
However Bargoed did then take the lead with James Pizey, on for Bancroft, putting in a finely judged box kick, gathered by Hallet to round under the posts with the full back adding the conversion to his own try - 15-17 with eighteen minutes left.
Four minutes later and the home side were back in front - this time a touch of genius from wing Steff Andrews who took a long flat pass on the half way making 30 metres and sensing a chasing defender, eased off, feinted inside and went again on the outside for a class finish in the corner, converted by Williams.
Ashley Norton had a late opportunity but a flailing tap did enough to slow him down before the cavalry arrived and Steff Williams added a penalty for the Wizards at the end to create an eight point gap with no way back for Bargoed to score twice. Final score 25-17.
Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos