Bargoed RFC | 1st Team 16 - 14 Aberavon RFC | 1st Team
Calum Jones
Conversion 1
Christopher Banfield
1 Try
1 Conversion

Match Report
18 February 2018 / Team News

Bargoed 16 Aberavon 14

Bargoed just edged this hard fought encounter, digging deep to stave off a second half fightback by the Wizards to make it two wins from three in this second half of the Premiership season.

The Bulls started well and two Matthew Lewis penalties put them 6-0 up after twelve minutes. Aberavon composed themselves and probably had the better of the middle period putting in some crisp passing moves behind but finding the home side difficult to break down. It was the forwards though who produced the visitors first try, with a driving maul from a line out brought to ground illegally and referee Daniel Jones didn't think twice and went under the posts to signal the try, to put the Wizards 6-7 ahead after 24 minutes.

Bargoed should have regained the lead following some fine play by locks Louis Blacker and James Locke supported by Leigh Meades and Ashley Norton with MatthewLewis just delaying a pass when it looked as though he could have gone himself but minutes later Lewis came through from full back at a great angle to power over for a try just right of the posts. Calum Jones converted and Lewis finished the half with a well struck penalty to see the Bulls go in 16-7 up at the break.

The Wizards looked sharp from the start of the second half with outside half James Garland getting the back line going and some great incursions from full back Chris Banfield, aided and abetted by some wayward kicking out of defence by the Bulls. The pressure paid off with Bargoed giving away two kickable penalties in quick succession, but neither Garland or Banfield could convert, much to the relief of the home supporters. 

Bargoed's poor start to the half took a turn for the worse with a harsh yellow card for Ieuan Jones for a deliberate knock on and it looked like a high price was to be paid when Banfield finished off a fine move before converting his own try to narrow the lead to just two points at 16-14. A more understandable yellow for hooker Leigh Meades for a no arms tackle followed and Bargoed were under the cosh with only thirteen men on the pitch. Another penalty inside the Bargoed twenty two saw Aberavon inexplicably opt for a shot at goal instead of going for a scrum and taking on the six remaining forwards and the Wizards supporters were left wondering as the kick drifted wide.

Aberavon continued to pummel the thirteen man defence but couldn't find a way through a resolute Bargoed defence who held out until the two offenders rejoined the fray but not before Wizards back row Lee Purnell found himself in the bin for a high tackle. 

Despite a pointless second half, the Bulls held out to make it 10 points from 3 games with a game in hand over most of their rivals. Next week sees Bargoed make the trek down to Carmarthen to take on the Quins with an early 11.30 kick off.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos