07 December 2022 / Club News

Bargoed Briefs

Bargoed Briefs

Bargoed Warriors Match Report

The Warriors visited Cardiff Met in a National Conference fixture looking to get a win over the only unbeaten side in the league. 

The Warriors backed it up with an excellent performance coming away with a victory after being 15-5 down, to clinch it 24-15 and steal the Met’s unbeaten record in the competition. 

This was a great effort by the whole squad, with the forwards giving the side a great platform to build from. 

There were three tries for the front row union with Aaron Elliott, Lewys Lippiett and Nathan Jones all on the scoresheet, and Ben Jones kicking a conversion 

The bench also played their part with young buck front rowers Jack Higgs and Ethan Thomas coming on and getting a crucial penalty try for their efforts. 

Bargoed certainly deserved the win with all the squad playing their part. The defence was superb with everyone digging in under pressure. 

This was Bargoed’s best performance of the season and takes them up to third place in the league behind Cardiff Met and St Peter’s. 

The Warriors entertain CRICC RFC on Saturday.

Bargoed Youth Match Report

Bargoed Youth V Pontyclun Youth , Sat 3rd December 

Bargoed played host to Pontyclun in a tantalising last 16 clash in the Welsh Youth Plate competition at Bargoed Park. 

With the first team fixture canceled, the youth had their chance to take main stage and play the highly anticipated cup tie on the main field, a huge honour in itself. 

From the kick off it was Pontyclun who started on the attack. Some good phase play in the middle of the park eventually leading them down to the Bargoed try line, a penalty conceded by the home team gave the visitors a chance with a 5m attacking lineout. Bargoed did not seem their usual robust self in defence and there was a sense of feeling that they were going to get caught cold sooner rather than later.  Pontyclun secured the lineout and rumbled the Bargoed pack over in the corner. The following conversion went wide of the target putting he visitors in front 5 to nil. 

Some positive words from the coaching staff set Bargoed straight as they cantered back towards the halfway line to restart the action. 

The words of encouragement seemed to work, Bargoed now had a tenacity about them and the usual physical, well structured, no nonsense style of play was back in abundance. Bargoed held onto the ball for a period of time and worked their way to the visitors 22, some lovely link play between forwards and backs gave Logan Yendle the space to open his legs and glide through the defence untouched to score a well worked try under the posts. The extras were added by fly half Williams and Bargoed were now in-front 7-5 awaiting the restart.  

From the restart Bargoed secured ball and started to make inroads towards the visitors line again, some tireless ruck play and ball retention sucked in the Pontyclun defence allowing make shift centre Josh Michael to arc his run around his opposite number, shrugging off any would be tacklers and crashing over under the sticks for the games 3rd try. 

Williams again added the extras edging Bargoed further into the lead 14-5.

Bargoed were now back on track and they showed no signs of slowing from the restart. Territory was again secured in the Pontyclun half and Bargoed started to build the phases again. 

The ball was worked wide through some accurate ball distribution and found Yendle on the left flank, the centre pinned his ears back and showed the defence a clean pair of heels to go over in the corner untouched for his second score of the day. 

Williams was wide of the target with the extras. The score now in favour of Bargoed 19-5.

Pontyclun hit straight back in resilient fashion and showed exactly why they found themselves in the later stages of a cup competition. 

Play progressed to the Bargoed 5m line through some fine attack and patient build up from the wounded visitors. They looked to be over the line but some outstanding defence from the home team lead to the referee awarding a penalty for holding on at the ruck. 

Bargoed over joyed with excitement let themselves down with some ill discipline through the celebration and the referee quickly awarded the penalty in the opposite direction. 

Quick thinking from the visitors saw the tap taken quickly but was stopped in its tracks from a Bargoed player in an offside position. 

The referee awarded a penalty try and Bargoed received a yellow card to add to their frustrations. The score now placed at 19–12 in favour of the home side.

The half ended with man of the match and ever present second row, Morgan Small making one of his usual abrasive runs up the middle of the park, leaving a wake of rattled defenders in his track, play eventually came to a halt and the referee called half time on what had been an end to end first half of flowing rugby.

With both teams still in with a shout of taking the spoils the coaching staff for both sides got straight to work during the interval, providing pin point instructions and tactics to take into the second half.

The second half started and seemed a back and fore affair, both teams having their share of possession and field position. 

Bargoed looked that little bit sharper behind the scrum and multiple attacks looked to be more dangerous each time. 

A set piece 5 meters out from the Pontyclun line gave the Bargoed backs the platform they needed to launch another devastating attack, the pre planned move put full back Cai Barnard through a gap who beautifully lifted the pass to winger Brandon McCarthy to power over in the corner for his first Youth rugby try. 

Williams fell short with the conversion into a strong head wind and the score now stood Bargoed 24 Pontyclun 12. 

Again Pontyclun did not wilt and came back at Bargoed time and time again, twice penetrating the Bargoed line only to be held up in goal through some fantastic defence. 

With he final whistle fast approaching Bargoed rang the changes allowing the whole squad to share the moment and celebrate another cup win. 

The referee blew the whistle to bring the curtains down on a fine competitive game of youth rugby.

Although coming away with the spoils the Bargoed team were not fully happy with their performance and showed great maturity in outlining this and understand they need to work tirelessly over the next 2 weeks if they are to progress past the last 8 and set up a semi final opportunity.

Bargoed’s next fixture is this coming Saturday, again at home where they entertain St Julians and Caerleon in a Dragons league match kicking off at 1:30pm. 

We would like to take this opportunity to thank all our supporters for their continued support and attendance this season so far.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments