Bargoed RFC | 1st Team 31 - 35 RGC | 1st Team
Julian Mogg
Try 2
Duane Dyer
Try 1
Ashley Norton
Try 1
Joshua Prosser
Conversion 3
Alexander Schwarz
1 Try
Dion Jones
1 Try
Tim Grey
1 Try
Jacob Nikkola Kenny Botica
1 Try
5 Conversion
Meilir Richard Parry
1 Try

Match Report
21 May 2018 / Team News

Bargoed 31 RGC 35

Bargoed saved the best till last in the final game of the season coming within a whisker of defeating the very strong and talented North Wales region. Both sides entertained the crowd with some sensational tries scoring five apiece and with only Dragons-bound Jacob Botica making the difference with his five conversions to the Bulls' three.

It didn't start well for the home side going 14-0 down in the first seven minutes with tries from Alex Schwartz and Dion Jones, both converted by Botica. It threatened to be a cricket score but Bargoed's defensive resilience kicked in and they clawed their way back into the game with some huge hits from the forwards and they got their reward on 25 minutes. A solid scrum on the halfway saw number eight Ashley Gibson feed outside half Josh Prosser with centre Jordan Howells and Ashley Norton in support and the big wing put full back Julian Mogg over in the corner. Prosser added the extras to narrow the gap.
Matt Bancroft was shown a yellow card by referee Simon Rees on 32 minutes for kicking the ball out of a ruck and Prosser crossed for a try which was disallowed for offside in midfield on 37 minutes.
RGC couldn't seem to break Bargoed down as they had in the opening salvo and just as the half was winding down Duane Dyer finished off a sensational move up the touchline to make it 12-14 as the clock went past forty. Still time for he restart said Rees and back came the Bulls, retaining possession from the kick off. Keegan Bale fed the amazing evergreen Leigh Meades playing out of position in the back row, Gibson put in a great grubber kick for a number eight and Ashley Norton beat Botica to the touchdown. Prosser converted from the touchline and Bargoed went in at half time 17-14 ahead.
RGC came out with all guns firing but Bargoed held firm. Then came the bonus point try with Mogg picking up his second after some great work by Meades and Darren Humphries. Prosser converted and the lead was stretched to ten points.
The visitors hit back with 14 minutes to go, Botica again converting to make it 24-21 and minutes later Botica scored a brilliant solo effort to edge ahead 24-28.
Mei Parry stretchen the lead with 3 minutes left and it looked like Bargoed would have settle just for the one point for four tries. However. Prosser gave them field position with a well struck penalty and Simon Rees was lenient as RGC brought down three mauls in succession close to the line, and failed to apply advantage as hooker Lewys Lippiett crossed for what looked like a perfectly good try.
But after several drives the ball was spun wide and young wing replacement Adam Rhys Jones crossed in the corner. Prosser converted well to make it 31-35 and Bargoed picked up two points to take them above Neath at the foot of the table.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos