23 April 2018 / Club News

Bargoed 21 Pontypridd 38

Bargoed put in their best performance for some time shocking the large contingent of Pontypridd supporters by withstanding a first quarter onslaught to lead 21-12 on the hour. However, Bargoed were down to fourteen with Matthew Thomas in the bin when Ponty turned the screw running in four tries in the last nineteen minutes to put a significant gloss on the final score.

Pontypridd started well with Dale Stuckey opening the scoring after 10 minutes but the Bulls defended really well and outside half Matthew Lewis put the home side in front with a chargedown from a kick by opposite number Diggy Bird and beating him to the touchdown. Lewis converted and made it 7-5 after 28 minutes.
The Bargoed coaches would have been furious with the restart, making a total hash receiving the kick and gifting Alex Webber a try to hit back immediately with Bird adding the extras.
Bargoed centre Darren Humphries then scored a peach of try coming in on an angle and cutting through the midfield following good work by Matt Bancroft at the base of a surprisingly strong scrum. Lewis again converted and the Bulls were 14-12 up.
Three minutes later and flanker Ben Fry burst round the blindside of a maul after a lineout  to score a great solo effort, converted by Lewis and the Bulls went into the break leading by 21-12 to the astonishment of the Ponty faithful and delight of the Bargoed home support.
The Bulls held their own for much of the third quarter until Matthew Thomas was binned for dropping a driving maul close to the line. Ponty called a scrum and scrum half Jamie Hill went over from short range to close the gap with Jordan Rees converting to make it 21-19 after 61 minutes.
Huw Howden came up with the ball after a driving maul - the hooker giving Pontypridd the lead, Rees again converting and it was Rees who extended the lead to 21-31 with a try with just 9 minutes left. It looked as if Bargoed might have at least have secured a four try bonus point with another chargedown but after a long consultation with the touch judge, referee Thomas Spurrier signalled a drop out twenty two.
A second try of the afternoon for Webber rounded it off on 80 minutes to end the game 21-38 with Rees' conversion.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments