Llandovery RFC | 1st Team 27 - 5 Bargoed RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
19 February 2017 / Team News

Llandovery 27 Bargoed 5

The record book will suggest a comfortable win for Llandovery but the Cup holders found it anything but comfortable as the Blues had the better of them in key phases of the game. The difference was clinical finishing with the home side's backs taking the few opportunities that came their way while Bargoed could not convert their set piece and second half territorial superiority into points, not helped either by two second half yellow cards.

The Drovers took an early lead with a James Davies penalty before Alex Herbert registered a try for the Blues - a driving maul from a line out  10 metres out was stopped illegally and referee Simon Mills played advantage as the forwards drove infield. The penalty came and hooker Leigh Meades tapped and went, Bryce Morgan was held up but flanker Alex Herbert was on hand to cross in the corner to make it 3-5 after 14  minutes.
Llandovery hit back with a try almost immediately, sixteen year old wing Corey Baldwin finishing well with Davies adding the extras to take the score to 10-5. Bargoed had a kickable penalty to close the gap but chose not to kick against the stiff breeze and went to the corner to try their luck at the line out but referee Mills penalised them and the home side cleared.
Half time approached and a lapse in midfield coughed up possession and two passes was all it took for wing Aaron Warren to find himself cruising across the line and round under the posts. Davies converted and the Bargoed supporters were left scratching their heads at the 17-5 half time scoreboard.
The Blues had much the better of the third quarter but crucially couldn't register any points. Matters got worse with a yellow card for wing David Evans for talking back to the referee but to their credit Bargoed dug in and the Drovers didn't score a point while he was off. However, Bargoed replacement second row Lee Beech was also yellow carded on 73 minutes for not releasing in the tackle with replacement outside half Jack Maynard putting over the resultant penalty to extend he lead to 20-5.
With two minutes left the home side were awarded a penalty just inside the Bargoed half and with Maynard shaping to kick to touch he spotted a gap, tapped and went and centre Richard Smith was on hand to finish it off. Maynard converted and the game ended 27-5.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos